Tuesday, November 26, 2013

To Brine or Not to Brine

We're going down to family in Corvallis for Thanksgiving dinner, but as mentioned the other day, the beach for the weekend. We also received a 22# turkey from grocery shopping. I thought I'd bring the bird along with roasting pan to cook up Friday for dinner and nibbles over the weekend.

I'm planning early though for how to cook the darn thing. It's currently a brick in the freezer, but needs to defrost.

How do you defrost your turkey safely?

I did do a brine one year, but honestly don't remember how it came out. Brandon came home last Friday talking about Alton Brown's method of cutting out the back bone and flattening the turkey but also doing a brine.

This recipe looked like it had possibility. Here's Alton's dry brine with 'butterflied' turkey. Since I don't want to have to clean the oven rack, I'm not sure I want to cook it that way. Don't think all those veggies would be popular with all the people either.

Anyone have brine experience that can offer words of wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment