I found a child's basic fingerless mittens pattern and then adapted it to suit my purposes. Cindy came up with using the Vogue Stitchonary's "butterfly" stitch for the spider. Then there was the test knitting. Getting a couple rows of "spiders" done and seeing how they looked. The black knit stitch to define the body wasn't really giving it enough in Brandon's opinion. His suggestion - beads. Well I had pre-strung the black yarn with some lavender beads I had. The original thought was to put some in the wrist ribbing and at the hands. I didn't like how they looked but still had the beads being pushed on the yarn.
Some tinking back a bunch of rows and re-doing the spiders with their new body and these are the mittens that we ended up with: