Friday, January 8, 2010

Spinning Mileage Updated with Last yarn of the year

It's official! I spun 12.3 miles of yarn in the last year. Wow!

This last batch of yarn I started with 4.9 ounces of Spinner's Hill Corriedale-Finn-Rambouillet Cross in purples and a dash of red/burgundy thrown in. It was really nice to spin with too! I did a rough division of the top by just dividing in half lengthwise. This meant that 2.2 ounces ended up on one bobbin and 2.7 ounces on the other.

When it came time to ply the two bobbins it seemed like they would both fit on one of the standard bobbins. They did but it took a little bit of finessing to get them to do it. I did end up with a very full bobbin when I came to that .5 difference and had to start it on a new bobbin just to finish it off. Then because I really didn't want to have to do two skeins (am I the only one weird that way?) I joined it up with the very full and ran it back through I guess also kind of re-plying. It was still jam packed on the bobbin and almost touching the side bars.

Total yardage? 660.8 yards of lace weight. I haven't done the wpi, so have no idea. I'm leaning towards making a longer Traveling Woman Shawl of this, or that's what its tied to in my queue right now. I really want to make more of an effort to get handspun used in some of the projects that are waiting to be done in the HUGE queue.

Yarn name: Lavender Dreams -


 


3 comments:

  1. 12.3 miles! Wow! Look at you go!
    This yarn is lovely. I am in awe of such fine spinning. It should look great in the Traveling Woman Shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda! I was a bit surprised when I figured out the yardage on this yarn. Still thinking about leaving as is, or re-plying and a thicker yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn looks beautiful! and I'm impressed by the amount of spinning you've been doing! Though I suppose I'd be able to spin faster on a wheel than on a drop spindle ;)

    ReplyDelete