Thursday, March 31, 2011

Where are they now?

Whatever happened to your __________?
Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person.

I knit my nieces each a pair of piggy mittens. They got them for Christmas and from my niece up in Snohomish I heard nothing further about them. The niece in town, I didn't really hear anything about them either until her father happened to mention that she wore them every day to school and was devastated  that one of them was missing. It was found the next day in the school's lost and found. They're pretty distinctive, so the whole set would have to go missing for them not to be turned in.

Who wouldn't like something that you could play with while wearing?
I had made William a Jayne Cobb hat a couple of years ago for his birthday. He's still living at home, so I know he has it and I've seen him wear it. Not as often as I'd like, but its colors aren't always easy to match with what he's wearing.

It would be nice since a majority of my knitting are gift items if I heard back from the giftees that they still are using them or not. I had made my mother a purse when I was first learning how to knit. It was out of this awful to knit with Lion Brand boucle type yarn and really hurt my hands to knit with it. I visited with her a year later and asked her about it, it was buried in her bedroom closet. I hadn't taken a picture of it before sending and was finally getting one. At lease she still had it - right?

Do you see your gifts being worn/used?

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for a blog post! Also, what have you knit that doesn't get ANY wear/use? I have a feeling I'd have a lot of items in that category!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knit my husband an alpaca hat for Christmas, and he wore it during the monster snow/ice storm that we had two years ago. We were trapped up our driveway for almost 2 weeks. He had picked out the colorway and everything.

    Now he can't find it.... big, big sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth - I have some toys that I've knit that aren't receiving any actual use. Unless you count dust collecting? ;-) I wanted to knit them, but didn't plan to give them to a child. Now that I think about it, a few them could go on to a child so that they get some use. The others though won't ever see a child's hands.

    Mokihana - lost hats and gloves are frustrating. Thankfully they are quick enough knits that making replacements aren't a huge chore, unless your queue is as full as mine! LOL Think of it as a chance to make him a new hat for him to love and a different pattern to excite you.

    ReplyDelete