Sunday, April 3, 2011

Knitting time

"Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter."

I have my spot on the couch with my side table that I knit in while watching TV at home. I can have a drink nearby, but I'm a 'no crumbs on my yarn!' kind of knitter. There have been accidental dribbles of coffee, but those all wash out thankfully! Recorded TV shows or movies are favorites. While I don't eat while knitting, watching cooking shows can be a substitute for food. I have light coing from a side window, a good torchiere lamp and if that's not enough, a table lamp on the backside of B's computer desk behind me.

Since I'm unemployed, between household chores of dishes, laundry and housecleaning, I knit. As mentioned I try to make gifts for family for birthdays and holidays. So this is working right? This year, though I'm going to try to get some sewn projects mixed in with the knit. ;-)  Look for those soon, I hope.

Wednesday nights are knit nights at Whole Foods, so knitting gets done there along with the socializing. Sometimes it can be difficult to get knitting done that requires concentration in this type of environment, so something that doesn't take a lot of attention can keep frustration to a minimum. Another friend has said that her former knit group had a rule against doing lace knitting in group. Something about having to rip out too often from mistakes made in knit group.

Book signings at Powell's have also seen me knitting on a sock or the current project. It always surprises me when someone there will say - "oh, I never thought to bring my knitting with me! What a good idea!" Are these just casual knitters? What kind of knitter does this make me?

There have been a few car trips where I've let the DH drive so that I could finish knitting a project, but in general I prefer driving so that doesn't happen too often. I'd love a chance to knit on a train, but no train trips in our future for awhile. I learned how to knit after I was no longer taking long plane trips, so no chance to knit on them or pick up yarns from faraway places. Darn!

I've seen those cute little bags that look like first aid kits that are for 'emergency' knitting you can keep in your car. I understand the thought, I guess if I liked to knit what they call vanilla or plain socks that something like that would be good to keep in the glove box.  My problem? I want to enjoy my knitting and just going around and around like that can be boring. If I had something more 'interesting' in the kit, it wouldn't stay in the kit, because if I started it, I'd want to finish. Then would have to find something else to put in there. So easier to have a bag that goes with me 'just in case'.

No comments:

Post a Comment