Wednesday, June 18, 2008

what happened?

First we had the whole graduation thing with family flying or coming by car or train to town. So had to spend time away from knitting and the computer dealing with all of that. Will's graduation went well! The All Night Grad Party also went well, they only have half of the pics up at SmugMug for viewing. Brandon and I also survived being up for 24 hours pretty well.

Then came the summer cold. I blame it on being outside a few times and getting chilled with no jacket on. It's still lingering though and Brandon has since caught it. Will said he did too but haven't seen him in a couple of days to really know how much its affecting him. I'd really like to get rid of the stuffy head and coughing.

Will's dad, Joe, got him a summer job. Since he doesn't have a car, he's staying with his dad Sunday through Thursday. He's working four days a week, $8 an hour and doing 10-12 hour shifts. So he'll have money for a car at the end of the summer for starting school. I miss him though. It's quiet without him being here.

Had an article in the Hillsboro Argus for World Wide Knit in Public Day (WWKiP). I organized an event at the Streets of Tanasbourne and got The Knitting Bee to sponsor it. Jami is giving everyone who bought something at the Streets on that day a 15% discount with their receipt, plus she sent Trish along to hand out 'door prizes'. Lots of fabulous stuff was given out too! It was a beautiful sunny day. I remembered to put sunscreen everywhere but on my chest. It's still glowing bright red four days later, but starting to peel too.

Camille and I popped over to Kabira's HUGE Destash Sale after the WWKip. I left with $40 of yarn. Some pink alpaca that will work up well into that Breast Cancer Awareness scarf mentioned in another post. Some mohair that will make a lovely shawl and a skein of handpainted Australian Wool that I think will also make a lovely scarf. We also found the Yarn Garden where Camille was unable to resist some sale yarn. Lots of yarn there.

I started a scarf during all this, but it's in lace on size 5 needles. The cool thing is that I found a 'star' or 'flower' in the bottom of the Malabrigo Lace yarn cake. Others have reported similar sightings in their lace yarn. Haven't seen it in the worsted. I was able to get one chart done before setting this project aside. I opted to work on my Cascade Lizard Ridge for my WWKiP day and got a few cakes from Tammy (LavenderKnits), and then bought six more skeins using my 15% discount on my birthday the next day. I went from having one block completed and starting another just before the event to now having four blocks done and starting a fifth. So I'll try to keep a block going along and see how fast I can get it done or switch out between projects. The fingerless gloves are on hold for awhile. Just can't work up the enthusiasm for them.

For my birthday, we went to return the items the lady at Macy's sold Brandon, then he insisted that he wanted to buy me clothes that day so we went down to Lane Bryant and found some tops and a nice summer dress. From there we went to the Knitting Bee. I picked up the Cascade 220 for the blanket and also the Tulips Sweater Kit for Keri's baby due in October. We headed to the Pittock Mansion and toured the house before walking the grounds. Brandon has some pictures that still need to be ran through a photo app before they get posted. Then we stopped down on NW 23rd at the Cost Plus and a few shops there before I absolutely wilted. All the sun from the day before was just wiping me out.

I hope to get to Insomnia for knitting on Thursday with the Hillsboro group. Put more faces with names that were there on Saturday but just blurred on me.

Saved a fledgling blue bird this morning. I was hearing this weird sound out back and couldn't see it from the window sitting in my computer chair so got up to look around further. Spotted a bird on the fence but couldn't figure out what it's problem was until I watched a bit. Then it became apparent that it had a body part stuck between the slats of the fence. So I went and got a bath towel and shoes. Up close I could see that it was fresh out of the nest and learning to fly as it still had down on it's chest but feathers on wings and that it had been parents trying to help free their baby from the fence. I wrapped it up in the towel and just tried to slide up, but had to hold on to it's leg and get it loose first. Then once free of the slats I just unwrapped and tilted over the backside of the fence. Since Norbert and Nessa were willing to 'help' the bird too, I figured it was safest for it to recover without their help on the other side of the fence. I haven't heard anything further from it, so will assume its either dead or alive and learned a lesson.

There we are! All caught up with most of the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment