- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup carrots, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large chicken breast, boiled then shredded
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups water
- ½ Vidalia Sweet Onion, chopped
- ½ can La Victoria Diced Roasted Green Chiles
- ½ cup Half n Half - divided
- 4Tablespoons unsalted butter – divided in half
- 3 ½ cups milk – divided
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese - divided
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup Creamy Green Tomato Salsa (http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/creamy-green-tomato-salsa/)
You can substitute another type of salsa. If you use a red salsa, your soup will turn a pink color and look different from mine pictured above. A different salsa will also change the 'heat' level of your soup.
I used white rice because that's what my family likes, but brown rice could be used.
You could also omit the potato and add in a can of rinsed black beans.
If you don't want to take the time to make the Medium White Sauce, you can add a can of Campbell's Cream of Potato/Celery/Mushroom soup or whatever you have on hand in the pantry. If you would like to save further cooking time, you could microwave the chicken breast and use store bought chicken broth.
If you do try it out, please also give it a rating over at Tasty Kitchen!