Saturday, June 4, 2011

Laid low and crawling back

I started coming down with what I thought was the bug the boys had gone through the last week of May. Fevers and coughing that progressed to the point by the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend that I had spiked a fever of 104 and couldn't breathe laying down. So I called Brandon whom I sent off camping for the weekend to come take me to the hospital. The ER doc was going to send me home since nothing was really showing up on the x-rays but my pulse-oxygen had dipped down to 82 and was hovering in the mid-80s. Kind of explaining the headache that was developing. So I was given that lovely oxygen tube to stuff up my nose and after a bit of checking, I got a ride up to my room away from the noise of the ER.

I had just gotten the okay on Friday, from Michele to post about my test knit that I had done for her - Zen Rain Shawlette.  It's a fun shawlette that grows width wise more than depth with a flirty ruffle. You can wear it a number of ways too. I need to find a nice circle to pull it through.  Michele sent along some naturally dyed glitter yarn from Pico-Accuardi, Stevie Sparkles and the colorway name is "This is it, Joel!"  It reminded me of my big ole cup of cafe au lait, with the silver being rain sparkles.  Here's my version:
I didn't pin it out, just stretched it out and let it dry. I guess I might have been able to get a bit more out of it, if I had pinned....

I tried spinning the cotton and have a start, but I wanted some little instant gratifications, so spun up some of the samples that Cindy had shared with me last month.
Left to right - International Fibers Shetland, Serenity Sheep Wool, Suri Network Suri, Rogue Adventures BFL, Camel/Silk, Desert Charms - Alpaca, CA Red, Border Leicester

I had started a Barn Raising Quilt Square out of Abstract Fibers BFL in Smith Rock but needed a bit to finish it up. So the Serenity Sheep Wool, the CA Red and some of the Suri from Desert Charms wrapped it up:

Kind of in a wrap up mood and they had grown, so felted Brandon's Kilt Hose Ties:
 Before
After
I was still plugging along on the Spiderman Blanket, but wanted some instant gratification, so whipped out a couple of blocks from the samples above:
 Suri in the center with the light brown of the camel/silk and Shetland on the outside border.
I had this orginally as a small block with the lavender and the dark blue, so picked up the edges and added on with my kool-aid dyed merino/alpaca/silk. I still need to do a full block with this stuff too.
Short the last few in this shot but gives you an idea of the blocks that I have so far. More blocks definitely needed!

Before the end of May I had also started a pair of socks. They're anklets, so I have the design portion and the flip done on one sock. Just working towards the foot. A little boring just knitting around and around though. Need to get these done so I can do June socks. (I'm totally cheating in June, but you'll have to wait to see how!)

After not having the energy to knit for a week and a half, I have a bolero started for mom's birthday. It's a nice crisp cotton that I think will make a nice summer cardigan for her to use. She flies in on my birthday to visit, so need to have it done by then! I have eleven days. I'm through the ribbing and first 12 rows of the lace pattern increases for the sleeves. Going with a nice raglan top down design so I can have it done in time. Might go for the stretch and see if I can get the socks done for her too, but again a stretch.


2 comments:

  1. So what was wrong with you? That sounds scary! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better! Thanks so much for test knitting for me.

    ReplyDelete