Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tour de Fleece 2009 Wrap-Up

I really did mean to post along the way but was keeping busy with spinning, knitting and other projects.

Here's a collage of what was done:
Click on it to make it a little bigger.

I finished up the pink superwash. It ended up being 2217 yards of spinning time. That's singles - 1478 yards, plying as a 2-ply - 739 yards. Having to re-ply that 739 yards again to get it really plied so that I could then cable ply it (ply it back on itself creating a 4-ply) to end up with 357.5 yards of cabled yarn.


I picked up from Tactile Fiber Arts a naturally dyed wool-flax combo. It's a 60/40 blend that was fun to spin up. It wasn't a difficult as the merino-tencel in the past. I ended up with a 210 yard 2-ply that along with the pink superwash went to the Washington County Fair.


I had also gotten Tactile's "Ancient Breed Sampler" pack. Five breeds of sheep - Finn, Gotland, Icelandic, Norwegian and Shetland, all with one ounce each sample size. I was able to spin up the Finn, Icelandic and Shetland singles on the last day of Tour de Fleece. I've since finished them - plying and washing the finished yarns:
Finn - soft! Lovely to spin, definitely will be including this on my shopping list of must have fibers! 333.66 yards (yes, from 1 ounce!)

Icelandic - felt soft until spun, itchy and caused allergy problems - 1639 yards

Shetland - softer than Icelandic, not as soft as the Finn - 195 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment