Monday, August 29, 2016

Recommendations

Norbert is back home with us again. He was gone a week. Came back in a nice box and with a paw print. Leeloo and Kieran seem to be sleeping a little more and a little quieter still. I'm starting to get back to a normal sleeping pattern. Though I can tell the depression is making me want to sleep more, maybe to catch up with not sleeping? There have been noises at night or during the day when there shouldn't have been, from where Norbert used to hang out. Still looking for him during the day.

In the last few months I've finally found my reading mojo again. Granted some of the books have been slightly disappointing. Or maybe my reading tastes are changing?  Authors of series that have been going on for several years seem to have books that are not keeping my attention. Or seem to have drifted towards a style I don't enjoy.

Most disappointing is when they start a new series and you want to jump in and enjoy it, but its not the same as the other world. But you continue on trying to find something that calls to you in the new world, and you're just not finding that thing that will hold you. Not even through the whole first book, much less a new series.

So you're left trying to find a new series/author to fall in love with. I met Anne Bishop at a Patricia Briggs book signing and tried out her series "The Others." That I have been enjoying. To the point that I requested an omnibus book of another one of her previous series. See above. I have hopes that I'll enjoy it. I know others who have.

I have books coming in from the library, but not as often as in the past because of this struggle.

Here's some authors:

Faith Hunter - Jane Yellowrock and previous her Rogue Mage series
Seanan MacGuire - her Tobie Daye series, I've read the first in the Indexing and have been hit or miss on the InCryptid series (1st & 4th, but not the ones with her brother.)
Eileen Wilks
Kim Harrison - The Hollows, but not her latest
Kelley Armstrong - Otherworld Series, but not others
Iris Johansen - I've been reading her since the early 80s (Oh how that dates me!)
Kay Hooper - ditto, but some of the latest I've struggled with. I think they were too dark and I wasn't in the mood for dark, though I enjoy the psychic stuff of her series
Patricia Briggs - I think all her books, but Mercy Thompson and side series
Jim Butcher - but I've only read the Dresden Files (just to put a token guy on my list - but hey years ago I was a Sidney Sheldon reader)
Ilona Andrews (hey does this count as another guy, even if they're a team?)
Lisa Shearin - she's come out with a second series and I've enjoyed it
Gini Koch - her Alien series is a blast, I haven't tried anything else by her yet
Nalini Singh - her psy-changeling series
S.M. Stirling - hey! another guy on my list. It's hard to find male writers who write women well, I guess? I've read both Change series


I have some others but I'm open to suggestions on new authors/series. I do better when I'm reading regularly. Playing varying forms of solitaire and word games isn't the best way to help put my brain to sleep at night.


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Anne Bishop's Black Jewels books, will have to try some of her other books. I've been having the same problem with finding new things to read. No series, but I do love Sarah Addison Allen's novels if you like magical realism. Can't think of anything else I would highly recommend at this point... hope you find something else you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Anne Bishop's Black Jewels books, will have to try some of her other books. I've been having the same problem with finding new things to read. No series, but I do love Sarah Addison Allen's novels if you like magical realism. Can't think of anything else I would highly recommend at this point... hope you find something else you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete