Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November Shawls

I started shawl number ten in October and really hoped to finish it for that month. Pick a simple shawl pattern that really only has one row to remember and for some reason it slows you down. ;-) Lovely pattern though - Dunes from Knitty. I was able to use some soft yak/merino that I spun up a couple years ago.
Keeping me warm at an event

On the piano trying to show some details
A former co-worker from Intel contacted me for help for a group event she was planning. She had played for a number of years in the SCA and knew that I was currently playing. She was hoping to use our loaner garb for group members to get into the theme of the party - Knights (their group name). We brought displays and fliers and a couple of people to do a rapier demo:
Eoghan and Gerald
Once I was done with Dunes, I wanted to get a jump on finishing the last shawl of the year - Swallowtail by Evelyn Clark. Instead of doing the nupps, I opted to use beads. I added some in the last section of the shawl too.
Close up of the beads

Blocking on the bed.
The fun thing about lace is how it comes off your needles all scrunched and small. Then you soak it and block it out and it can grow, sometimes a lot. This went from 15 x 41 inches to 22.25 x 48.25 inches. Kind of a shawlette really and I think I might have been able to add in one more of the Budding Lace charts, but it would have only given me another inch. Still a pretty neck warmer. I may give this as a gift to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment